THE 2016 AVALON RETURNS AS A MINOR MODEL CHANGE, BOASTING UPGRADED STYLING AND EVEN MORE STANDARD FEATURES TO COMPLEMENT ITS BOLD DESIGN AND INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGY.
Why buy a 2016 Toyota Avalon?
For 2016, the Avalon returns with updated styling, including a redesigned front grille with narrow upper grille (Avalon Touring features a unique and sporty front fascia), newly-designed turn signals that replace fog lights, refined LED taillights with smoked lenses, and a chrome rear bumper accent. In addition, a new XLE Plus grade is introduced for both gas and Hybrid to complement the Avalon lineup and appeal to a wider variety of owners. For Avalon gas, this grade is the second grade after XLE (base grade), and in hybrid models it is the base grade.
Bold And Athletic Styling
Avalon's sleek exterior attracts lots of welcome attention, appearing both athletic and elegant, with a low and wide appearance creating an aggressive stance. Quadrabeam headlights, LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs), color-keyed heated power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators and manual folding feature, and smoked LED taillights all add to a strong presence and express innovative identity.
For 2016, Avalon continues to introduce even more advanced technology features to the lineup. All grades now include a standard 7-inch touch-screen display and navigation capabilities with Entune Audio Plus with Connected Navigation App (Scout GPS Link) now standard on XLE and XLE Plus. In addition, Toyota's all-new safety package, Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) is available on Limited grades (gas and Hybrid).
Excellent Fuel Economy Ratings
The 2016 Avalon holds EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings8 of 21 city, 31 highway and 24 combined; Avalon Hybrids hold EPA-estimated ratings of 40 city, 39 highway and 40 combined. And with Normal, Sport and ECO Driving Modes as well as paddle shifters now standard on all Avalon gas models, Avalon provides an exciting blend of fun-to-drive performance and efficiency.
Top-Class Interior Cabin Roominess
Avalon's cabin provides front and rear occupants with ample space, and Avalon’s power adjustable front seats offer a great range of leg room adjustability, all culminating in a comfortable ride for every seating position.
A combination of available premium leather on the steering wheel, shift knob and seat upholstery along with wood-grain-patterned and smoked-chrome accents creates an environment that is both pleasing to the eye and to the touch. Decorative stitching on the steering wheel, as well as the dashboard and door panels, adds to the interior's luxurious feel.
Top-Class Noise/Vibration, Ride and Handling Performance
Avalon retains its quiet, isolated interior with strategically placed sound-deadening materials, including an acoustic glass windshield and front side glass. Avalon also features a body optimized for noise reduction, and these features help make Avalon’s cabin an exceptionally quiet and comfortable environment.
What's New on the Toyota Avalon for 2016
New Grade Strategy:Avalon XLE Plus and Avalon Hybrid XLE Plus are introduced as two new grades. For Avalon gas, this grade is the second grade after XLE (base grade), and in hybrid models it is the base grade. Avalon Touring Sport Edition and Avalon Hybrid Touring are no longer available.
Simple Packaging: The new grade strategy supports even more standard equipment. The only available options/packages are 17-inch super chrome wheels for Avalon Limited Gas, and Toyota Safety Sense™ P(TSS-P)1 for Avalon Limited (gas and Hybrid).
• The 2016 Avalon will have two unique suspensions: one prioritizing high quality and comfortable ride, the other (available only on Touring) for a more dynamic and responsive driving experience. Neither of these two suspension tunings are carryover - both are improvements over the current production Avalon.
• A redesigned front grille with narrow upper grille (Avalon Touring features a unique and sporty front fascia)
• Newly designed turn signals that replace fog lights
• Refined LED taillights with smoked lenses
• Chrome rear bumper accent
• All colors remain the same; however, two existing colors have updated names: Midnight Black Metallic (218) has replaced Attitude Black (218), and Ooh La La Rogue Mica (3T0) has replaced Moulin Rogue Mica (3T0)
• New gray accent stitching with light gray interior
• Entun Audio Plus with Connected Navigation App (Scout GPS Link) is now standard on Avalon XLE, XLE Plus and Hybrid XLE Plus
• Entune Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation and App Suite is now standard on Avalon XLE Premium, XLE Touring and Hybrid XLE Premium
• Entune Premium JBL Audio with Integrated Navigation and App Suite2 remains standard on Avalon Limited and Hybrid Limited
• All grades now feature a 7-inch high-resolution touch-screen display
• Qi-compatible5 wireless smartphone charging (with [full] charge indicator light) device is now standard on Avalon XLE Premium, Touring, Limited, Hybrid XLE Premium and Hybrid Limited
Safety & Security
• All-new Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) is now available as a package on Limited grades (gas and Hybrid)
• Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA) is now standard for Avalon XLE Premium, Touring, Limited, Hybrid XLE Premium and Hybrid Limited
2016 Toyota Avalon Key Features
•3.5L DOHC 24-valve SEFI V6 with Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (Dual VVT-i)
• 6-speed Electronically Controlled automatic Transmission with intelligence (6ETC-i)
• 4-wheel MacPherson strut suspension with gas-pressurized shock absorbers, stabilizer bars, anti-vibration cradle sub-frames and dual links at rear
• Hybrid models: 2.5L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder SEFI with Dual Variable Valve Timing (VVT-i), Hybrid Synergy Drive and Electronically controlled Continuously Variable Transmission (ECVT)
• Steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters, Normal/Sport/ECO Drive Modes standard on all gas models
•Quadrabeam halogen headlights with auto-on/off feature
•Smoked LED taillights
•18-inch super chrome alloy wheels standard on Limited, 18-inch dark gray-painted alloy wheels standard on Touring, 17-inch super chrome alloy wheels standard on Hybrid Limited, 17-inch dark gray-painted allow wheels standard on all other grades
•Dual chrome-tipped integrated exhaust with chrome-accented cover standard on gas models
•Power tilt/slide moonroof standard on XLE Plus, XLE Premium, Touring, Limited, Hybrid XLE Plus, Hybrid XLE Premium, Hybrid Limited
•Steering-wheel-mounted Bluetooth hands-free phone and voice command controls
• Dual Zone Automatic Climate Control with air filter and rear-seat vents (all grades except Limited; Limited includes Three-zone automatic climate control)
• Intelligent Touch switches for climate control and audio system
• Available Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) on Limited grades
• Standard backup camera
• Standard heated front seats
•eBin sliding electronic device holder
• Entune Audio Plus with Connected Navigation App on XLE, XLE Plus, Hybrid XLE Plus; Entune Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation and App Suite on XLE Premium, Touring, Hybrid XLE Premium; Entune™ Premium JBL Audio with Integrated Navigation and App Suite on Limited and Hybrid Limited
• Qi wireless charging standard on XLE Premium, Touring, Limited, Hybrid XLE Premium, Hybrid Limited
• Standard SiriusXM All Access Radio with 3-month complimentary trial standard on all models
Safety & SecurityStar Safety System
• Ten airbags
• Whiplash-Injury-Lessening (WIL) front seats
• Standard Safety Connect (Limited grades only)
• Available Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) package on Limited grades
• Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA) standard on XLE Premium, Touring, Limited, Hybrid XLE Premium and Hybrid Limited
• ToyotaCare16 for 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first
• Roadside Assistance for two years, unlimited miles
2016 Toyota Avalon Key Competitive Advantages
HYBRID SYNERGY DRIVE SYSTEM No other competitor offers the advantage of full hybrid technology in the premium full-size sedan market segment.
IMPRESSIVE FUEL ECONOMY Utilizing a proven combination of technologies like Toyota's Dual VVT-i and the award-winning Hybrid Synergy Drive system, Avalon sets the bar with frugal fuel economy and large car performance all in the same package. Avalon Hybrid models show customers that Toyota cares about EPA-estimated mpg.
ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY Avalon is host to a number of exciting technology features with limited to no availability on several key competitors, from the Entune App Suite1 to Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) and Intelligent Touch capacitive switches.
HEATED REAR SEATS Avalon is equipped with heated rear seats to add extra convenience to passengers. This luxury feature is missing from Nissan Maxima, Chrysler 300 and Buick LaCrosse.
COMMITMENT TO SAFETY Avalon features ten standard airbags and Toyota's Whiplash-Injury-Lessening (WIL) front seats, plus Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, available Pre-Collision System and available automatic high beams. New for 2016, the Avalon will include Toyota Safety Sense as a package.
BETTER VALUEAccording to IntelliChoice.com's 5-year Cost of Ownership calculator, 2015 Avalon received an Above Average Value rating and boasts lower 5-year ownership costs than its key competitors.
2016 Buick LaCrosse Leather Group
• Better fuel economy ratings: Avalon achieves better estimated mileage at 21 city and 31 highway mpg than LaCrosse, which only reaches 17 city and 26 highway mpg
• Roomier interior:Avalon offers both greater cargo volume at 16 cubic feet as well as greater EPA passenger volume at 103.6 cubic feet
• Safety: Avalon features ten airbags while LaCrosse features eight, and includes Whiplash-Injury-Lessening (WIL) front seats unmatched by LaCrosse
• Audio: Avalon XLE includes Entune Audio Plus with Connected Navigation App, eight standard speakers, HD Radio, and Intelligent Touch controls for climate control and audio systems - upscale refinements not standard on LaCrosse Leather Group. The LaCrosse Leather Group is equipped with Apple Carplay for iPhone 6 and newer, however it will use your data
• Technology: Avalon XLE Premium and above are equipped with Qi-compatible and Toyota's Entune App Suite, providing in-cabin connectivity not matched by LaCrosse at any level. The Buick LaCrosse features a 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot for only 3 months or 3 GB of data, whichever comes first
• Value:Comparing 2015 models on IntelliChoice, Avalon received an above average value rating and boasts lower 5-year estimated ownership costs, whereas the LaCrosse rates below average and costs about $9,000 more than the Avalon.
2016 Ford Taurus Limited
• Better fuel economy:Comparing V6 engines, Avalon is rated at 21/31/24 (city/hwy/combined) while Taurus Limited is rated at 19/29/23
• Better pounds-per-horsepower ratio: Avalon is a much lighter vehicle that pulls less weight than Ford Taurus, adding to its agile performance
• Comfort and Convenience: Avalon comes standard with leather-trimmed seating and Smart Key14functionality with push button start. Taurus doesn't come standard with leather or push button start until Limited trim
• Technology: Avalon XLE features Entune Audio Plus with Connected Navigation App standard eight speakers, HD Radio, and HD traffic and weather in major metro areas, just a few features not standard on Taurus Limited
• Safety: Avalon boasts ten standard airbags compared to Taurus' six, and includes Whiplash-Injury-Lessening (WIL) front seats and ToyotaCare coverage unmatched by Taurus
• Value: Comparing 2015 models on IntelliChoice, Avalon received an above average value rating whereas Taurus Limited received a below average value rating.
2016 Chrysler 300 C
• Better city fuel mileage: Despite Chrysler 300's 8-speed automatic transmission, Avalon beats it in city and combined MPG ratings, 21/31/24 MPG vs. 19/31/23 MPG
• More standard-equipment airbags: Avalon provides ten (including driver and front passenger knee airbags and rear-seat side airbags), Chrysler 300 S has seven
• Less weight: Avalon is over 550 lb. lighter than Chrysler 300, an advantage that's seen in excellent fuel efficiency and performance
• Technology: Avalon comes standard with upscale technology like Entune Audio Plus with Connected Navigation, HD Radio and Intelligent Touch capacitive touch audio and climate controls. Chrysler 300 offers neither
• Value: Avalon received a better value rating and boasts lower 5-year estimated ownership costs than 300 for 2015 models, according to IntelliChoice
2016 Nissan Maxima S
• Roomier rear seating: Avalon provides more cargo room and passenger volume than Maxima. In fact, Avalon has 1.2 inches more rear seat headroom and 5 inches more rear seat leg room than Maxima
• More standard amenities:Avalon XLE comes standard with leather trimmed heated front seats with power lumbar support, while the Maxima S is equipped with cloth seats and zero gravity seats
• Safety: Avalon boasts ten standard airbags compared to Maxima's six, and includes Whiplash-Injury-Lessening (WIL) front seats and ToyotaCare coverage, unmatched by Maxima
• Value:Avalon received a better value rating and boasts lower 5-year estimated ownership costs than Maxima for 2015 models, according to IntelliChoice. In fact, Maxima’s two models both received "Poor" ratings, while Avalon's lowest rating was "Above Average"
• Cost of Ownership: Avalon has ToyotaCare, a no cost maintenance plan covering 24 months or 25,000 miles, including 24-hour roadside assistance for 24 months