Stocked with Standard Equipment
FOR 2016, 4RUNNER COMBINES TRUE OFF-ROAD COMPETENCE FROM THE TRD PRO SERIES WITH EVERYDAY DRIVING COMFORT, QUALITY AND SAFETY.
Key Selling Points
One of the few body-on-frame SUVs left, 4Runner provides the strength for off-roading and towing, while its premium interior provides comfort and practicality. With its powerful 4.0-liter V6 engine, rugged athleticism and plenty of amenities and technology, 4Runner can keep it wild or keep it civilized. For 2016, 4Runner features standard satellite radio on every trim, and with its new TRD Pro model, is even more off-road capable than ever.
4Runner is equipped with a standard 4.0L V6 engine that delivers 270 horsepower and 278 lb.-ft. of torque while still maintaining optimal fuel efficiency with up to 22 highway mpg. Additionally, Limited has the X-REAS Sport Enhancement Suspension, which helps maintain the vehicle's level ride by balancing shock absorber damping pressure.
For 2016, 4Runner comes standard with SiriusXM Radio with a 3-month trial on every trim and makes available Entune 2.5 with navigation and the Entune App Suite including integrated apps and data services.
With a 40/20/40 split-folding second row and up to 89.7 cubic feet of cargo volume, 4Runner is a great everyday vehicle. Plus, it has up to 5,000 lbs. of maximum towing capacity.
4Runner comes with a standard backup camera with projected path and Hill Start Assist Control (HAC), while four-wheel drive models have standard Downhill Assist Control (DAC). The Limited trim level is equipped with standard front and rear parking sonar and Safety Connect.
Rugged Off-Road Features
Trail grade, with its 4WD drivetrain, offers superb off-road capability with standard rear-locking differential, A-TRAC, Multi-Terrain Select and 5-step selectable Crawl Control. Plus, TRD Pro features TRD Bilstein high-performance shocks, TRD-tuned front springs and a TRD front skid plate.
What's New for 2016
• Maintain Color: Super White
• New Colors: Quicksand and Magnetic Gray Metallic
• Discontinued Colors: Inferno and Midnight Black Metallic - TRD Pro
Safety & Convenience
• Entune 2.5 Version on each respective unit model
• Entune Audio Plus with Connected Navigation (Scout GPS Link) standard on SR5 and Trail
• Entune Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation and Entune App Suite, standard on SR5 Premium and Trail Premium; available as on option on SR5 and Trail
• Entune Premium JBL Audio with Integrated Navigation and Entune App Suite - Standard on Limited
• 4.0L DOHC 24-valve V6 with Dual Independent Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (Dual VVT-i)
• 5-speed Electronically Controlled automatic Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i) and sequential shift mode
• Engine speed-sensing Variable Flow Control (VFC) power-assisted rack-and-pinion
• Part-time 4WD system with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC ) - SR5 4WD and Trail 4WD
• Full-time 4WD system with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC ) and Torsen® limited-slip center differential with locking feature - Limited 4WD
• Coil-spring independent double-wishbone front suspension with stabilizer bar; coil-spring 4-link with lateral rod rear suspension with stabilizer bar
• X-REAS Sport Enhancement suspension – Limited
• TRD Bilstein® high-performance shocks with rear remote reservoirs – TRD Pro
• TRD-tuned front springs – TRD Pro
• Projector-beam headlights with smoked trim
• LED taillights with smoked sport trim
• Color-keyed front and rear bumpers, door handles, heated power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators and puddle lights - SR5 Premium, Trail Premium and Limited
• Power tilt/slide moonroof with sunshade – SR5 Premium, Trail Premium and Limited
• Unique "TOYOTA" front grille and black "TRD PRO" external hard badges – TRD Pro
• TRD stamped aluminum front skid plate – TRD Pro
• 40/20/40-split reclining and fold-flat second-row seat
• Power rear liftgate window with auto up/down and jam protection
• Leather-trimmed tilt/telescopic steering wheel with audio and Bluetooth hands-free phone and voice command controls
• Backup camera with projected path
• SiriusXM Radio with 3-month trial - all trim levels
• Entune Audio Plus with Connected Navigation - SR5, Trail
• Entune Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation and Entune App Suite - SR5 Premium, Trail Premium, TRD Pro
• Entune Premium JBL Audio with Integrated Navigation and Entune App Suite - Limited
Safety & Convenience
• Driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System
• Driver and front passenger TAP (Thorax, Abdomen, Pelvis) front seat-mounted side airbags
• Driver and front passenger knee airbags
• Front and all-row (third-row airbags on all models) Roll-sensing Side Curtain Airbags (RSCA) with cutoff switch
• Star Safety System
• Safety Connect - Limited models
• ToyotaCare for 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first14
•Roadside Assistance for 2 years, unlimited miles
2015 SmartChoice Retained Value by IntelliChoice
2015 KBB.com Best Resale Value: Top 10
Kelley Blue Book's KBB.com
2015 Petersen's 4-Wheel & Off-Road 4x4 of the Year
Toyota 4Runner TRD pro was named 2015 4x4 of the Year by Petersen's 4-Wheel & Off-Road magazine.
2015 IHS Automotive 90% of 4Runners Sold in the Last 10 Years are Still on the Road
IHS Automotive driven by POLK
Key Competitive Advantages
4Runner offers more than a 4WD capability that conquers rugged terrain with ease - it also provides 4WD models with skid plates to protect the undercarriage and the drivetrain, giving drivers increased confidence
Toyota knows that many SUV owners often have other gear and toys they travel with, but 4Runner responds by being ready to tow1 from day one and from base SR5 grade on
An SUV is defined by its utility, an area 4Runner excels at, thanks to a spacious cabin and convenient versatility. 4Runner is better than its competition with 89.7 cubic feet of maximum cargo volume, split-folding seating, available running boards and an available under-floor storage compartment
Because 4Runner is a Toyota, it comes with a long list of standard safety features such as the Star Safety System, front and rear parking assist sonar and an anti-theft system. While its competitors try to match 4Runner's standard safety features, many don't offer standard Hill Start Assist Control (HAC) and available Downhill Assist Control (DAC).
2015 Ford Explorer Limited 4X4
• More Torque: 4Runner's 4.0L DOHC V6 engine produces 23 lb.-ft. more torque than Explorer's 3.5L Ti-VCT V6.
• Built to Tow: 4Runner features a fully boxed ladder frame, and it comes standard with an integrated tow hitch receiver. Explorer features unibody construction and makes the tow hitch receiver an available option. Plus, 4Runner's tow capacity is SAE J2807 certified, where Explorer's is not.
• Additional Security: Driver and front passenger knee airbags provide an additional layer of security for front occupants, while Explorer only offers a knee airbag for the front passenger.
• Larger Cargo Capacity: With 7.1 more cubic feet of maximum cargo volume than Explorer Limited, owners can haul even more gear.
• Better Value: According to IntelliChoice.com, 4Runner and Explorer received an "Average" value rating, but 4Runner's estimated 5-year cost of ownership beats Explorer by over $800.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
• Aggressive Styling: Even with Wrangler Unlimited's iconic look, 4Runner's bold, aggressive styling is highlighted by sleek projector-beam headlights and LED taillights.
• More Driver Comfort: 4Runner comes standard with an 8-way power adjustable driver's seat with power lumbar support, whereas Wrangler Unlimited only has a manual adjustable seat.
• Convenient Camera: 4Runner comes standard with a backup camera featuring path projection, while no comparable system is available on Wrangler Unlimited.
• Connectivity: 4Runner Trail features standard Entune Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation and Entune App Suite, which includes eight speakers, 6.1-in. touch-screen, USB 2.0 port, HD Radio and much more. While Wrangler Unlimited Sahara has eight standard speakers, it doesn’t have a standard touch-screen, USB port or HD Radio. Plus, 4Runner Trail offers the available integrated Entune App Suite, a technology feature unavailable on Wrangler Unlimited at any grade.
• More Airbags: 4Runner comes standard with eight airbags while Wrangler Unlimited only comes standard with two, the rear and head/curtain airbag.
• ToyotaCare: 4Runner comes standard with ToyotaCare, including a 2-year or 25,000-mile, whichever comes first, no-cost scheduled maintenance plan, whereas Wrangler Unlimited has no complimentary scheduled maintenance
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
• Preferred Performance: 4Runner's 4.0L V6 is more powerful with 270 horsepower, while Xterra has 261 horsepower. Plus, 4Runner offers better city and highway EPA estimates.
• Styling: 4Runner Limited features standard 20-in. alloy wheels, where Xterra Pro-4X only has 16-in. alloy wheels.
• More Passengers: 4Runner offers an available third row for seven-passenger seating, while Xterra doesn't have a third row and can only seat up to five.
• Standard Safety: 4Runner has standard driver and front passenger knee airbags, a safety feature not found on Xterra.
• Better Value: 4Runner comes standard with ToyotaCare, including a 2-year or 25,000 mile, whichever comes first, no-cost scheduled maintenance plan, while Nissan offers no complimentary maintenance for Xterra. Plus, according to IntelliChoice.com, 4Runner and Grand Cherokee received an "Average" value rating compared to Xterra's "Poor" rating.
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
• Preferred Performance: 4Runner's 4.0L V6 produces 18 lb.-ft. more of torque than Grand Cherokee's standard 3.6L V6.
• Off-Road Capability: Grand Cherokee Limited models and above have a Quadra-Trac II four-wheel drive system with Selec-Terrain, but thanks to 4Runner's body-on-frame construction and Limited's X-REAS sport enhancement suspension, 4Runner is rugged and sporty. Also, 4Runner has a higher ground clearance with higher approach and departure angles, helping make for a solid off-road experience.
• Built to Tow: While 4Runner has an available tow hitch and receiver option, Grand Cherokee doesn't offer it.
• Great Cargo Volume: 4Runner offers more than 20 cu. ft. more cargo space than the Grand Cherokee. 4Runner also offers an available third-row for seating up to seven passengers, while GC doesn’t offer a third row.
• Connectivity: 4Runner Limited features standard Entune Premium JBL Audio with Navigation and Entune App Suite, including eight speakers, HD Radio and USB 2.0 port with iPod connectivity. Grand Cherokee Limited only offers available HD Radio at extra cost, and its USB port is charge-only.
• Standard Safety: 4Runner features eight standard airbags to Grand Cherokee's seven, providing an extra knee airbag for the front passenger too.
• Better Value: 4Runner's standard ToyotaCare includes 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first, of no-cost scheduled maintenance while Jeep offers no complimentary maintenance for Grand Cherokee.
• Lower estimated cost of ownership: According to IntelliChoice.com, 4Runner and Grand Cherokee received an "Average" value rating, but 4Runner's estimated 5-year cost of ownership beats Grand Cherokee by over $1,000.